Sunday, July 17, 2011

Jonas Hernandez

Since this was my 4th, I was convinced that he was going to come pretty early, especially since Nicolas was 10 days early. Unfortunately that meant mentally I got very frustrated the longer and longer I was pregnant. It worked out though because we had a full week with my parents to do some fun things and get some projects done in the house before he arrived. And just to prove that you can never predict these things, Jonas ended up being my longest pregnancy, beating Matias by just 4 1/2 hours. :)

On Saturday after going to the Transportation Museum, I took a great nap and when I woke up we decided to go to Costco for a few groceries and then bought a pizza there for dinner. I was still feeling very grumpy as Zeke could tell but it was nice not to have to deal with dinner at home. At Costco, I had a few minor contractions again and was thinking that maybe things were finally starting to happen, but I'd been hoping for so long that I wasn't convinced yet. We came home and got the boys in bed and stayed up to play games. By this point I was having contractions but they were as far apart as 30 minutes and weren't painful at all although I could tell that they were real contractions and not just braxton hicks. We went to bed around 11pm hoping that at some point during the night we'd be off to the hospital. Falling asleep I did have some contractions and was awake for a while, although I think I was able to sleep for at least 2 or 3 hours somehow. Finally at 4am, the contractions woke me up and at 4:30 I woke up Zeke to help me get through the contractions. By 5 we decided to get up and get dressed and start getting ready to go. At 5:30 we told my parents we were on our way (my mom was so sleepy and said "okay, have fun!" I had a good laugh about that). Zeke was hoping to eat some breakfast but all of a sudden the contractions were every 3 minutes so we decided to just go. We got to the hospital admitting desk around 5:45 and they got me to a room at 6:00. I was in quite a big of pain by this point and in one quick break between contractions, the nurse checked me and told me I was fully dilated to a 10 and quickly called my doctor. My doctor made it by 6:15 and two very painful pushes later, Jonas was born at 6:29! Still can't believe how fast it all happened but it was so great not to even get an IV. I also loved that it was my doctor that came to deliver Jonas, especially after not-so-great experiences with the doctors that delivered Matias and Nicolas. Here are pictures from the hospital.

Jonas Hernandez
July 10, 2011
6:29am
7 lbs 14 oz
21 inches

warming up

the official weigh-in

footprints



all clean after a sponge bath

with Dr. Weinstein
his nurse in the office is also named Kendra - it was awesome



in our room

love a swaddled, sleeping baby



snuggling with daddy

love those wrinkly newborn feet


meeting his brothers and grandparents

Matias was excited to hold him

Nicolas wasn't so sure

Lucas was also excited to hold him - I love this picture
of the 4 brothers


spending time with grandma


getting to know grandpa


it was so great having my parents here this time!

first family picture
I think Nicolas wanted my water bottle

so happy to have Jonas here finally!

snuggling with Jonas the next morning (July 11th)



I love this pucker face

all ready to go home!


I had just bought this outfit for him at
Costco :)

nothing like a good cry

strapped in and ready to go


holding my finger on the ride home

at home snuggled up with Grandma

10 comments:

smiths said...

I love your blog..thanks for sharing Kendra!

Sarah said...

Yay Kendra! I can't believe how quickly he came - holy cow! He is adorable and you all look so happy. Hope you are recovering well!

Chalece said...

I love this! I'm so happy for you guys, he is a doll. That is so nice that your parents could be there to help you. Congratulations!!

Leigh said...

What a great birth story! Despite being pregnant longer than hoped, it sounded like it couldn't have gone any better. He is adorable.

Jones Family said...

Oh he is perfect! Congratulations on your new baby boy. Miss you guys!

DeeAnn H. said...

Kendra, you looked like you were never pregnant as you were ready to leave the hospital. You are amazing. I sounds like delivery went really well and he is beautiful. Congratulations!

Sara the Survivor said...

I love the snuggle pic of him and your mom - I totally miss that phase!
Welcome to this crazy earth Jonas!!!!

The Mortensens said...

YAY!!! He's so cute, I loved reading the story. He came so fast! Wow. I can't believe I left MN two short years ago and you only had TWO boys, now you have FOUR!! What the....

I love it. We miss you guys!

Kara

BWei said...

What a beautiful boy! So glad the labor and delivery went okay despite it being so speedy. Hope you're recovering well.

Becca said...

So so happy, Kendra! He's as handsome as the rest . . . what a wonderful family. We miss you so much! I love the pucker face picture, and you look great! Congratulations. :)