Friday, September 4, 2009

Pow Wow

On Thursday, August 27th a Pow Wow was held on one of the big fields of our apartment complex. It was really amazing! Apparently, it is also very rare to have a pow wow held outdoors in the Twin Cities area. One of the residents who is Native American organized the event. Again, I didn't have my camera, but a friend took these pictures of some of the dancers that participated in the Pow Wow. The dancers were so beautiful and it was neat to see the culture a little bit more up close than I probably every have before. An interesting part of the evening was to see how child/teenage behavior crosses all cultural boundaries. I saw little children running away from their parents who were trying to get them dressed for the Pow Wow and teenagers in the dance circle with the most bored and annoyed look that they had to be there. A friend and I that were watching together kind of got a kick out of realizing that it happens to all of us!

Also, our neighbors that just moved in next door to us are also Native American (from Wisconsin) and their son participated as well. His name is Niju and he's only a month older than Lucas so it's been fun having a new friend right next door. They also have a son Preston who is only 2 days younger than Matias! What are the chances of that happening? They also have a baby girl who is about 7 months old.






No comments: