Sunday, February 1, 2009

Champoeg State Park & Portland

On Monday (Jan 12th) we took it somewhat easy in the morning and in the afternoon went to Champoeg State Park. (On a side note, many pronunciations in Oregon are not how they seem at all! Champoeg is pronounced Shampooey for example. I rarely ever pronounced anything as how it should be pronounced or at least how it's pronounced by locals...two different things in the eyes of a linguist!) Anyway, it was beautiful and Meredith and I learned a lot about how Oregon came to be. There was a significant meeting that took place in that area that basically led the way for Oregon to become a state. It was kind of overcast that day, so I didn't take too many pictures. Here's one of Matias and the beautiful landscape.


On Tuesday (Jan 13th) we had a fabulous day in Portland! Our first stop was Washington Park where there is supposed to a fantastic view of downtown. We didn't find a very unobstructed view and were somewhat disappointed, but it was still a beautiful park and we could also see Mount Hood again (although it's hard to tell in the pictures). After Washington Park, we went downtown and parked so we could walk around and see the sights. I can't believe I've already forgotten a lot of the names, but I do remember seeing some historical courthouses, and we saw Portlandia (a copper statue which is the second largest after the Statue of Liberty), had yummy lunch from The Whole Bowl (in honor of Sarah!), walked by the river and visited Powell's (the world's largest independent new and used bookstore). Here are some pictures documenting the day.

Taking a nap on the way to Portland - I love how peaceful and cute kids look when they're sleeping

Hanging out in the strollers at Washington Park

This is a pretty good view of downtown and I promise Mount Hood is in the background!

Lunch was delicious!

A cool sign

Mer and I with Portlandia!

Taking a break from the stroller to walk by the river

Enjoying the children's section at Powell's

Matias loves books!

Powell's basically takes up the entire block

No comments: