I don't have any pictures to show for it, but Zeke and I got to go on two fun dates this past week.
On Thursday night, we went to see Haydn's "The Creation" performed by the St Paul Chamber Orchestra at the Ordway Theater in St Paul. I had found a deal where the tickets were only $10 each! Our seats were great too - only a few rows from the stage and we were on the far left but that's where the soloists were, so it was fine. It was so well done - the soloists were amazing, of course the orchestra was great and the choir had some amazing songs with phenomenal harmonies. The style of the piece reminded me of when I got to perform Mozart's "Requiem" last fall with the Minnesota Mormon Chorale. Probably my favorite part of the evening though was the conductor. Being so close to the stage we got to see his facial expressions so closely and he was so thoroughly enjoying himself! And on some of the fast parts of the piece, he was even jumping up and down to the beat while conducting with his hands. Hard to explain with words, but it was really amusing to watch but it added a lot to the piece to see the conductor so into it. On a side note, it's interesting to me how much music has changed/evolved since Haydn wrote "The Creation" about 200 years ago. I imagine there are still composers composing music like that, but it still doesn't seem the same. I really do love all different styles of music! It was a great evening.
On Friday night, our library down the road had a free "Old Time Movie Night." All I knew about it was it was free and they were showing old silent movies with piano accompaniment. I didn't know much more than that so Zeke and I were not sure what to expect when we showed up. We ended up having a fantastic time and were laughing pretty much the entire hour and a half that we were there. There was a great mix of ages too - young kids all the way up to adults that may have seen the movies when they first came out! We first watched a Laurel and Hardy short called "Big Business." Then they showed a Charlie Chaplin film: "The Pawn Shop." Then we watched a 'talkie' by Laurel and Hardy so the pianist could take a little break and then the last silent film was a classic Laurel and Hardy called "Liberty." It was a fun evening and best of all - free!
On Thursday night, we went to see Haydn's "The Creation" performed by the St Paul Chamber Orchestra at the Ordway Theater in St Paul. I had found a deal where the tickets were only $10 each! Our seats were great too - only a few rows from the stage and we were on the far left but that's where the soloists were, so it was fine. It was so well done - the soloists were amazing, of course the orchestra was great and the choir had some amazing songs with phenomenal harmonies. The style of the piece reminded me of when I got to perform Mozart's "Requiem" last fall with the Minnesota Mormon Chorale. Probably my favorite part of the evening though was the conductor. Being so close to the stage we got to see his facial expressions so closely and he was so thoroughly enjoying himself! And on some of the fast parts of the piece, he was even jumping up and down to the beat while conducting with his hands. Hard to explain with words, but it was really amusing to watch but it added a lot to the piece to see the conductor so into it. On a side note, it's interesting to me how much music has changed/evolved since Haydn wrote "The Creation" about 200 years ago. I imagine there are still composers composing music like that, but it still doesn't seem the same. I really do love all different styles of music! It was a great evening.
On Friday night, our library down the road had a free "Old Time Movie Night." All I knew about it was it was free and they were showing old silent movies with piano accompaniment. I didn't know much more than that so Zeke and I were not sure what to expect when we showed up. We ended up having a fantastic time and were laughing pretty much the entire hour and a half that we were there. There was a great mix of ages too - young kids all the way up to adults that may have seen the movies when they first came out! We first watched a Laurel and Hardy short called "Big Business." Then they showed a Charlie Chaplin film: "The Pawn Shop." Then we watched a 'talkie' by Laurel and Hardy so the pianist could take a little break and then the last silent film was a classic Laurel and Hardy called "Liberty." It was a fun evening and best of all - free!
1 comment:
How fun! I've seen a silent movie, but not with a live accompanist. How cool. Your concert night description made me want to go to the symphony!
Post a Comment