Everything went really well this morning. We got to the hospital at 6am, met with the nurse, got Matias changed in to their very cute hospital pajamas, met with the anesthesiologist and then Dr. Malone (our ENT doctor that performed the surgery). His surgery time was at 7:30 so a few minutes before then I went in with him for them to give him the anesthesia with the mask. He was so sleepy from being woken up so early that he was very calm and still and he was out in about 20 seconds. At the very end he did start squirming and wiggling in my arms (I held him why they gave him the anesthesia which was nice) which was hard, but the anesthesiologist said it's not that he was in pain, but that it's a phase they go through before being totally knocked out. Then we placed him on the gurney and away he went. I did have a moment where I almost cried seeing him so still and being taken away, but I wasn't too worried. I am well aware that there are much more difficult surgeries and problems to deal with. Just like she said, Dr. Malone was back out after only 5 minutes saying that everything went well and that when he wakes up from the anesthesia, a nurse would come to get me. So I waited a little more and then got to go to the recovery room when he woke up. At this point he was pretty grumpy and confused and of course very hungry. It took a while for him to calm down and get a little food down, but after that he's been doing absolutely great. We were home by 9am and he took a great nap, had a good lunch and is now playing happily with Lucas! I really am grateful that he was able to get the ear tubes before we fly tomorrow. Here are a few pictures from the whole experience.




2 comments:
What a good sport! Clara got an MRI a year ago, and it was nerve-wracking having her be put under...seeing them so still on the hospital bed is scary! I'm so glad Matias did so well and I hope he continues to recover well on your trip.
LOVE THE SOCKS!!!
Post a Comment