Well, apparently it was too much to ask for a normal week back when I posted on March 11th. Actually, that week was somewhat normal, but by the 19th, it was about to get crazy again. I just looked at a calendar to get the specific dates on when everything happened so I don't forget... March 19th was a Monday and the first day of Lucas' Spring Break. Lucas had gone to bed the night before complaining of a cough and feeling a little bad but we didn't think it was serious, but by Monday morning he did not feel good. By early afternoon on Monday, I decided to take him to the doctor and sure enough he had influenza. They also tested him for strep since I had had it a few weeks earlier but that test didn't come back positive, at least not right away. So Lucas started the tamiflu that day. On Wednesday the clinic called and said that the 48 hour test came back positive for strep so Lucas needed to take antibiotics too - back to Walgreens I went. By Friday Lucas seemed a lot better and that night Zeke and I even went on a date to see the Hunger Games which was great. Saturday (it's now March 24th), Zeke and our friend Scott had planned a trip to Ikea in Chicago to get some furniture so they left super early. When Nicolas and Jonas woke up, they had burning fevers. I called the doctor and he immediately wrote Nicolas a prescription for the tamiflu but sadly Jonas is too little to take tamiflu so we could only gave him the tylenol and motrin. Back to Walgreens I went. Soon after Nicolas took his first dose of the tamiflu he threw up and then on Sunday when I tried the tamiflu again, he threw up so we decided to just stop the tamiflu. Monday was difficult but by Tuesday Lucas was definitely a lot better and Nicolas and Jonas were a lot better too. Tuesday night Matias went to bed feeling fine but at about midnight he woke up because his ear hurt and was basically up all night because of the pain. First thing Wednesday morning I took him to our pediatrician and sure enough it was an ear infection. This time it was in his right ear (the one 3 weeks prior was in his left). Since there was still some fluid in the left ear, my doctor prescribed a stronger antibiotic. On Thursday, Lucas woke up with hives and a rash all over his body - turns out he's allergic to amoxicillin. He stayed home that day from school. Thursday afternoon, Nicolas woke up early from his nap and was quite inconsolable. Somehow through the tears, he told me that his ear hurt and wanted to go to the doctor. At first I thought maybe he was trying for sympathy knowing that Matias had said his ear hurt the day before, but he kept insisting so I finally took him in an hour later and sure enough - an ear infection! Nicolas has tubes in his ears and pretty soon it started draining like crazy. Since he has the tubes, we could give him antibiotic drops instead of oral antibiotics which was nice. Thursday night in the middle of the night, Jonas spiked a high fever again so Friday morning I went back to the doctor and poor Jonas had a DOUBLE ear infection! Did you catch that? Going to the doctor three days in a row. He joked that he should give me my own parking spot. :) Oh, and just so you know I went back and forth between laughing about everything happening and crying. I was so stressed, exhausted and tired from it all. But miraculously, Zeke and I stayed healthy through it all. This is just for me, but here's a chart to remember the sequence of the whole drawn out episode:
March 19th - Lucas: influenza
March 21st - Lucas: strep
March 24th - Nicolas and Jonas: influenza
March 28th - Matias: ear infection
March 29th - Lucas: allergic reaction to amoxicillin, Nicolas: ear infection
March 30th - Jonas: double ear infection
On a more positive note, our friends the Albano's came to visit and I turned 30! Here are some pictures!
 |
| Lucas and the CTR Superhero for a Primary Activity - March 10th |
 |
| Lucas "chose the right" by helping me do the dishes |
 |
| Nicolas and Debra enjoying chocolate cake after dinner with the Wessman's and Albano's - March 31st |
 |
| love that chocolate face and Deb's grin! |
 |
| trying to get Jonas and Keller in a picture - at first Keller was not so sure about Jonas - April 1st |
 |
| and then Jonas started crying |
 |
| this was the best we could get :) |
 |
| I snuck this picture of Audrey playing the piano |
 |
| when she realized, she decided to put the music over her face :) |
 |
| playing outside |
 |
| I tried about 8 different pictures of the kids... these 2 came out the best |
 |
| that's Lucas, Anthony, Audrey, Matias and Nicolas |
 |
| flowers blooming in our garden! |
 |
| more flowers |
 |
| i took a bunch of pictures of Matias and Audrey too - these are my favorites |
 |
| at first Matias was grumpy and Audrey was being silly |
 |
| then they both got grumpy |
 |
| finally got a picture of them smiling |
 |
| and my absolute favorite: their crazy faces |
 |
| Anthony and Lucas had a great time playing together |
 |
| Nicolas loves his new bed! |
 |
it was so great to hang out with Jill - she even took me out for breakfast for my birthday we had such a great time with their whole family! |
 |
| 30th birthday dinner at Fitz's |
 |
| we tried to go bowling, but it was bowling league that night, so we went and hung out at a park |
 |
| Nicolas was having so much fun |
 |
| picture 1 |
 |
| picture 2 of me and my boys after some editing in Picasa :) |
Can't believe I'm 30!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment