My parents came to town on May 10th. We had fun going to a Twins game in the new stadium that evening and they were also able to be at Zeke's dissertation defense on May 11th. Lucas and Matias loved going to the 'dead end' street to watch trains with Grandpa, but poor Grandma couldn't go near Nicolas without him freaking out. :) My mom was great helping me get some things packed too. We're glad they could come a few days before Zeke's graduation so we could hang out with just them!
it was fun to be in the new stadium, but the Twins got rocked by the Tigers and the game was also delayed almost an hour because of some hail that came through; they had the maintenance crew out there cleaning up EVERY piece of hail before they would start the game again
we were a little high up, but we had front row seats which was great
--------------------------------------------------------
Zeke's dissertation defense was on May 11th at 9:30am. My parents and I went to listen to the 'public' part of the defense. It was very similar to what Zeke had prepared for his job talks so amazingly he wasn't too nervous since he'd had plenty of job talks :). I think Zeke did a great job in his presentation. I understood most of it until he went over some of the statistical parts and started talking about 'logit' and other words I have no idea what they mean. I was also distracted by the hem on his pant leg that was slightly out of place and a reoccurring typo on one of the slides - interesting what I pay attention to, huh?! He really did a great job and handled all of the questions from his advisers very well. After his presentation, all of us not on the committee had to leave while they asked him a few more questions. Then Zeke had to leave while the committee decided their verdict (I fixed his pants quickly while he was out)! After only a few minutes, they called him back in to tell him had passed and there wasn't even any need for revisions!!!! Go Zeke!
the title of his dissertation
maybe I was trying to ask some thought-provoking question? who knows
okay, enough pictures already!!
while we were waiting for Zeke, I got a picture of the inside of the Carlson School - he spent a lot of time here!












No comments:
Post a Comment