Monday, July 21, 2008

Congratulations to Zeke!

Hey Everyone,

I just found out that I passed my preliminary exams (aka comprehensive exams)! Now let me translate for those who don't know what I'm talking about:

Preliminary exam: a very long, mean test that covers the two years of course work that I've been taking since I started my PhD program at Minnesota. Nothing really "preliminary" about it. The term "comprehensive" seems more appropriate, but here in the Midwest people like to be subtle. It lasted three days, with intense writing and (hopefully) thinking involved.

Why does it matter? If I don't pass, I can't stay in the PhD program. Luckily I passed, which means that the school believes I am good enough to stay and write a dissertation. The school is confident that my dissertation will be worthy of calling me Dr. Hernandez one day--and hopefully making some kind of positive contribution to the world. It typically takes 2-3 years after passing the preliminary exam to graduate.

I wanted to share the good news with all of you. It feels really good to be at this stage. Of course there's lots of work ahead to write a dissertation. So I have to stop writing this email and get back to work!

Seriously, thanks to all of you for your friendship, love, and support. You are all in some way part of this accomplishment.

Closer to Dr. Hernandez than ever,
Zeke

3 comments:

BWei said...

Hi Zeke and Kendra! Thanks for sharing the blog with us...I hope I sent you ours as well. Congrats, Zeke, on passing the exam! I'm so glad we've been able to keep in touch with you guys. Take care. Brittany

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Zeke! We knew you would pass. Good luck with the rest of school. We hope to see you guys withing the upcoming year!

Meredith said...

I never doubted for a moment that you'd pass. It's easy to be confident in other people, though, isn't it? :) Congratulations!!